Friday, November 27, 2009

The Haircut

At the time I placed myself in a situation to have our family’s passports stolen, we intended to take a holiday in England. At that same time the man of the hour, as far as France and all of Europe were concerned, was Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, aka Carlos “the Jackal.” I looked a lot like his pictures that were being circulated.

Just my luck. Could I look like a famous, sexy movie star? Or a brilliant writer or noted politician? No-o-o-o-o. Were people going to ask me for an autograph? No, but they might ask me to put my hands up and then shoot me anyway.

So I got a haircut before I got my passport photo. That would show them. Unfortunately, Carlos “the Jackal” also got his hair cut before his latest photos were released. Now I really looked like Carlos.

I thought I might be safe because I didn’t speak English with a heavy Venezuelan accent. But the subject never came up as I went through various customs. And that worried me even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment